In a reading from an excert from Greg Crister, " Let Them Eat Fat ". States that fast food chains like
McDonald's and Krispy kreme have long been criticized for their targeting of inner-city communities
by nutritionists and dietitians. Eventhoe, these companies know that there on the radar, their companies
have grown because of the high demand for low-middle income families who need cheap meals.
These days it seems like there is a McDonald's or Kentucky Fried Chicken every couple of blocks in
poor inner-cities.That's because of the low income communities,and a place like mcDonald's offers
you a good deal.
In conclusion, I agree that McDonald's is targeting young african-americans and also putting there
health in risk because of the high fat and calories consumed by these individuals.Which could lead
to problems like obesity and diabetes, this is bad because living in low income cities we will always
be a target for these franchises.
For example, when I was 13 years old, my family was very poor.We had to save money for other
things like rent or the cable bill.So eating at McDonald's was cheap and a effective way to get full.
Eating at McDonald's also is a problem because its niot healthy.Greg Critser quotes that " The total
caloric content of the meal has been jacked up form 680 calories to more than 1,340 calories".
This can become a huge problem for the kids because the more they eat, not including supersizing it,
the less active they will be in taking physical activity.
For example, I remember coming from school and eating and putting on extra pounds, after 6 months
I was 40 pounds overweight. On Saturday's and Sunday's my friend called me on the phone, come
outside and play. I did not want too because I was being lazy and the lazyness comes from eating
alot of the fatty foods which eventually made me less interested in physical activities.
People that have low-income's like drywallers and gardenero's come tired from work and all they want
is a quick meal.They dont want to sit down and cook something that will take time to prepare.
Example, I remember when my uncle was living by himself, coming home from work and buying
fast-food, like cheeseburger's,fries,and a large soda.I would tell him you have to stop eating that
because one day your cholesterol and clogging of the veins will become a problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment